Well it took me forever, but I finally finished the sofa that my husband and I bought at an auction for a whopping - you won't believe it - TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS! Yep, you heard me correctly, I said TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS! as in $25, as in twenty-five $1 bills, as in two $10's and a $5. Uh-huh, that's right, $25. And just in case you didn't hear me, I said TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS!!!
Everyone thought we were crazy! Purdy it wasn't, but oh-so-comfy it was! People are going to be so jealous because after I worked my magic this is what it looks like now!
Isn't it the coolest thing evah?!! Well, you wouldn't have thought so if you had seen it in the beginning. I mean, really, would you have paid more than TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS for this (minus the fat cat, he didn't come with the sofa, but he thinks it's comfy too!):
So what did I do to make it look like it does today you ask?
Well, originally I tried to paint the fabric using a method that I found on Pinterest, and truthfully I think it would have worked had I been painting it a darker color, but I was trying to paint it white and and after four coats some of the color still showed so I decided to scrap that idea. I wish it had worked tho, 'cause I loved the way it looked, like a woven tone on tone damask design and was quite lovely! But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. Besides, I wanted something really soft, and durable, something I could take off and throw in the washer (have I mentioned that I am the ONLY female in my house, including our three cats??? - I NEED washable!!) I also needed something
cheap inexpensive since I would have to pay someone to make the slip covers for me because, unfortunately, I do not sew (because my momma gave me a phobia when I was a little girl about running my fingers under the needle of the sewing machine, its all her fault!). So what is that lovely white fabric I used you ask??? Well, it is none other than a drop cloth that I washed and bleached. Yep, you heard me right, a drop cloth! I absolutely LUV it!! It is so soft!
Since it did not require any sewing I was able to do the bottom and the back myself. Now, when you look at the photos, please keep in mind that I am in no way a professional when it comes to upholstery, faaaaaarrrrr from it! But this was fairly simply, I just stapled it in place and then glued the gimp on to cover the staples. Easy, peasy!
Before I did the upholstery I made up a home-made chalk paint and painted and distressed the frame. After distressing the fame I used an antiquing glaze to give it some character (like it needed more character! ha!). After it dried I applied two coats of polycrylic.
Also, because it was so low, my husband removed the original legs and replaced them with these that we found at Lowe's. I loved the original legs, and being short I was actually more comfortable with the lower stature of the sofa, but it was shorter than the sofa table behind it and that bugged me.
So, that's the story of my bargain sofa. Just goes to show that you don't always have to spend a fortune to get something that looks like you did. Just remember, sometimes the beauty isn't apparent at first glance, and if you don't look closely enough, and if you aren't willing to take a chance you just might miss out on the best bargain of your life.
The Rustic Pig
The Ironstone Nest
Savvy Southern Style
Knick of Time
Nifty Thrifty Things
No Minimalist Here
The Shabby Creek Cottage
French Country Cottage
Not Just a Housewife
Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors
The DIY Showoff
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia