Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Sweet Sideboard

I've been working at a client's house the past few weeks who just moved into her new house.  I've worked on several projects there, but this sideboard is my favorite!

Isn't she sweet!?  (and do you remember that mirror?  I did it several months ago along with a few others while she was in her old house)  Here is what the sideboard looked like in the beginning:
She was pretty, but you can't tell in this photo that the top was in need of a little tlc. The designer also wanted to shake things up a bit. So she sent me to a local antiques store and asked me to paint it like one she saw there.  I was going to share a photo of my inspiration piece that I had taken with my phone, but technology doesn't want to cooperate with me so guess we'll skip that part.  (and I am soooooo sure that it is NOT operator error!  yeah, I know, who am I kdding?  but my teenager isn't home to show me what I'm doing wrong.  What am I gonna do when he goes off to college????  don't even wanna think about it!) 
So I started with MMS milk paint in Ironstone.  I did add the bonding agent because while I wanted a little bit of chipping I didn't want an enormous amount.  For some reason I had difficulty on the front, not sure why, but it had major chipping even with the bonding agent added.  It was okay because as you can see in these pictures it helped add to the "layering" effect:
Unfortunately, it just kept chipping even though I had followed all the directions.  I finally decided that it had to be something on the furniture itself because the sides and the top didn't do it.  Soooo....  I sanded most of the really bad chipped areas off and mixed up some homemade chalk paint that matched the Ironstone (btw, that would be Benjamin Moore in White Dove which I found out quite by accident because I was too lazy to go home and get the fan deck and come back and match the paint so I just went to my fave Ben dealer who totally rocks and got a can of my old stand-by White Dove.  I figured if it didn't match exactly it would be okay 'cause it would just add to authenticity).  I painted over the whole front with the chalk paint and then with MMSMP in Shutter Gray.  I just kept layering the paint until I achieved the look I wanted which was an authentic built-up look, like it had been painted several times over years instead of in a couple of days.  Here are LOTS of photos for y'all:

This is what I luv about milk paint - see all that distressing?  all done by hand with a 220 grit sanding block, no electric sander required.  Didn't even break a sweat.  Sometimes I even use a damp rag.  

When it was all sanded I mixed up a little gray glaze and a little gray wax.  Then I finished it off with a couple coats of clear wax.  I also added a little silver to the hardware:

Well that's it for this sweet thang!  I have several other projects that I worked on while there that I'll be sharing so stay tuned!



  1. Love it! You did just the right amount of distressing and it looks AWESOME!

  2. Wow, I love this piece so much!! I am painting a buffet that has a similar style and your photos have convinced me that I need to distress the piece more! Thanks!

  3. You did such a terrific job. Love the layering.

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

  4. So pretty! This came out great. x

  5. Girl, you are the best!! Thanks for linking up!!

  6. Great transformation! Thanks so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party!
    House on the Way

  7. Your sideboard turned out amazing!


  8. It's nearly impossible to find educated people on this topic, but you seem like you know what you're talking about! Thanks netflix login member